Wednesday, November 14, 2012

New Girls' Home Inauguration

Last weekend, Sam's House opened its new girls' home in Pokhara.  The six oldest girls at Sam's House will move in at the end of the current holiday season.  The home is the result of a lot of foresight, planning and work on behalf of Dinesh, the Sam's House staff and its trustees.

The new home will provide the girls with the opportunity to develop independent living skills they will need for life after Sam's House.  Now, in addition to their schoolwork, they will take a more active role in daily upkeep of the home, cooking, cleaning, and learning how to budget for a household income.

The new home is located 200 yards behind Gorhka English Boarding School, so the girls will have a nice short walk in the mornings.  They will live with one house mother at a time.  The individual didis will take one month rotations in the house so that the girls maintain their relationships with the house.

We'd like to offer special gratitude to the Bergman Family who is graciously providing the operating funds for the new home this year in memory of their wife and mother, Helen Bergman.



 Amrit and Mamata scan the books on the new bookshelf.

 The boys inspect one of the bedrooms.

 Shiva, the dance teacher, joined the celebration and toured the new home.

 Mamata, Sarita, Sabita and Mina have a laugh in the mother's room.

 As always, snacks were served.

 Mamata sits with the new computer in the girls' home.

 Maya cuts the ribbon on the new home.

 Mina lights some candles before entering for good luck.

 The whole SH gang at the inauguration.

 The six residents of the new girls' home (clockwise from left): Mina, Mamata, Sabita, Maya, Sarita, and Chija.

A few of the Nepali trustees were on hand (from left): Ekdev Devkota, Pradip Regmi, and Maj. Chaundra Bahadur Pun.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! Someone in my Facebook group shared this site with us so
I came to give it a look. I'm definitely loving the information. I'm book-marking and will
be tweeting this to my followers! Fantastic blog and fantastic style and design.


Feel free to surf to my website; Sushi PLace

Anonymous said...

Do you have a spam issue on this blog; I also am a blogger, and I was wondering your situation; we have developed
some nice methods and we are looking to trade methods with others, please shoot me an email if interested.


My page :: Sushi En Menu

Anonymous said...

Hi! Someone in my Myspace group shared this website with us so I came
to check it out. I'm definitely loving the information. I'm book-marking and will be tweeting this
to my followers! Exceptional blog and outstanding design and
style.

My page St Cloud Floral

Anonymous said...

What i don't realize is if truth be told how you're now not really a lot more smartly-appreciated than you may be right now.
You are very intelligent. You already know therefore considerably in relation to this matter,
produced me in my view imagine it from a lot of varied angles.
Its like men and women don't seem to be fascinated unless it's
something to accomplish with Girl gaga! Your own stuffs excellent.

All the time maintain it up!

Feel free to visit my website; http://www.ehealthscores.com

Anonymous said...

I comment when I appreciate a post on a site or I have something to contribute to the conversation.
It's a result of the passion communicated in the post I looked at. And on this article "New Girls' Home Inauguration". I was moved enough to leave a comment :-P I do have some questions for you if you usually do not mind. Is it only me or do some of these comments come across as if they are written by brain dead folks? :-P And, if you are writing on other online social sites, I'd like to keep up with you. Would you make a list the complete urls of your public pages like your Facebook page, twitter feed, or linkedin profile?

Feel free to visit my blog post athletics trainer information

Anonymous said...

I like the helpful information you supply for your
articles. I'll bookmark your weblog and test again right here regularly. I'm slightly sure I will learn many new stuff right here!
Best of luck for the next!

My site; meningitis vaccine side effects

Anonymous said...

I'm more than happy to uncover this web site. I wanted to thank you for your time for this particularly wonderful read!! I definitely really liked every part of it and i also have you saved as a favorite to look at new information on your blog.

Feel free to visit my homepage :: Florist