Sunday, May 24, 2009

In KTM (summer 2009)

I arrived in Kathmandu three days ago. I will apologize in advance for hi-jacking this blog (temporarily) for some non-Sam's House posts.

Before going to Sam's House, I'm doing a small, short research project with a couple of Nepali gentlemen. We're going to Jumla in a couple days to learn a little bit more about what their needs are in terms of community development. Jumla is one of the poorest areas of Nepal and they lack many basic resources.

My companions--Rajan Maharjan and Arjun Adhikari--will be doing most of the actual research, interviewing local people about their communities through a range of topics: education, economy, governance, public health, and gender.

In the meantime, I've been relaxing and enjoying KTM, visiting friends and exploring. Here's a few pics from today:

At the entrance to Swayambhunath.

On the way up the steps, I saw this boy and a girl riding plastic bottles down the cement slabs that line either side of the staircase. I thought it was pretty ingenious. Who says plastic bottles are no good?



This view never fails to amaze me: KTM from the observation deck at Swayambhunath.









Mom and son kicking it old school.

This photo is for Jenny, a reminder of her first visit to Nepal.

No comments: