Monday, July 03, 2006

Back Home and Healthy

We had planned to post much sooner but an unexpected illness put us back several days on lots of things we had hoped to do.

The law of averages finally caught up with me: after spending more than a year in Nepal (aggregately), I got a bug or virus or something of some kind that wreaked havoc in my stomach for more than a week.

The timing was impeccable. After a six-hour layover in Bangkok, during which I thought I was getting a cold (if only), we boarded the next flight for JFK. Just after closing the doors, I raced back to the lavatory, a trip I would repeat 8 or 9 times for the remainder of the flight. When not in the lavatory, I was slumped on top of Jen trying to sleep, praying for the gentle hand of death to put me out of my misery. The flight to JFK was 16.5 hours.

Interestingly, when we landed in JFK I was allowed to deplane. A doctor in Morris later told us that people who arrive ill on flights from Asia are generally quarantined because of bird flu concerns. The flight attendants on Thai Air knew I was not well--as evidenced by my steadfast refusal of meals and drinks--something, Jennifer will tell you, I absolutely loathe doing on any flight, believing I can get back some of my airline fare through heavy consumption. Anyway, I walked right off the plane and into US customs.

The illness stayed with me for the better part of 10 days, including a night's stay at the hospital. We went to California to join Jen's parents on a family vacation. It was certainly great to see them, but I was unable to enjoy the best part of any Rothchild gathering--the food.

We'll have more to say shortly. Our website will be live and available within the next two weeks. Our programmer will be putting the final touches on the site this week and next. We hope you'll be impressed and send along the link to your friends.

Love to you all.

CB

2 comments:

Sheila B said...

Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry to hear about your GI ills--those are always the worst! Best diet you've ever been on though--no need to do your abs.

Let me know if you want me to go over the website. We've arrived, unpacked (mostly), and connected our internet service (thank goodness). We're living in Suburbia Grande, but our access to the trail is unbeatable.

Hope you're feeling stronger and eating normally again!

Anonymous said...

Hey, I can't view your site properly within Opera, I actually hope you look into fixing this.